- Product Downloads
During this time of year, it is important to monitor weather conditions in your area. Daytime temperatures should be over 55 degrees Fahrenheit to safely release your butterflies.
New! No more need for pins or tape! Velcro Dots are included in your kit so you may conveniently affix the vial lids (with the caterpillars attached) to the inside of your mesh butterfly habitat.
Once your chrysalides have hardened and it is time to move them to the habitat, you're ready to use the Velcro dots. Simply remove a Velcro dot from the backing and attach the sticky side of the dot to the back of the lid. Then attach the lid with the hanging chryaslis to the inside of the habitat by pressing the Velcro teeth firmly into the mesh. Take a second velcro dot, with the sticky side facing out on the outside of the habitat and press the velcro sides into each other until they lock in place. The lid will hang there securely while you wait for your beautiful butterflies to emerge.
Butterfly Pavilion School Kit With 33 Live Caterpillars Includes:
- Collapsible and reusable 2 foot tall Deluxe Butterfly Pavilion Habitat
- NEW! Velcro dots are now included in your kit so you may conveniently affix the vial lids (with the caterpillars attached) to the inside of your mesh butterfly habitat
- 33 live caterpillars and all the nutritious food they need
- 33 vials and lids
- Feeding Pipette
- Plastic Spoon
- Small Transfer Brush
- Extensive Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Instructions
When the Caterpillars Arrive
Take special care in the initial setup of your caterpillars. The food and the caterpillars will have to be transferred to the vials as soon as possible, so each student can have his or her own butterfly to raise and observe. The caterpillars are very hardy, but they are sensitive to bacteria and the oils on your hands. Just make sure that hands and materials are clean prior to and during transfer.
Transfer the Caterpillars to the Individual Vials
- Be sure you have a large space in which to work.
- Using permanent marker, write the name of a student on a small vial.
- Open one of the large vials of food and spoon out a generous half-spoonful of caterpillar food with the spoon provided.
- Place the spoonful of food into the vial.
- Gently tamp it into the bottom of the vial using the bottom of another empty vial.
- Open the large Cup of Caterpillars and be sure not to tear the paper liner on the lid.
- Using the transfer brush, gently pick up a caterpillar and transfer it into the vial.
- Snap the lid of the vial in place.
- Repeat with the remaining caterpillars and vials.
Each vial has plenty of air for one caterpillar, so you don’t need to punch holes in them. It is very important that the caterpillars remain undisturbed and that the students handle their vials gently.
See the Birth of Your Very Own Butterflies
The caterpillars grow so quickly students can't resist checking on them several times throughout the day! After about seven days, the caterpillars will crawl to the top of the cups, hang upside down and change into chrysalides. After two or three days it’s time to move the chrysalides into the School Kit Habitat. Keep an eye on the ever-changing chrysalides; your butterflies will emerge approximately five to seven days later!
Children love feeding their hungry butterflies. To make the butterfly nectar, thoroughly mix 3 teaspoons of sugar with 1 cup of water. Lay some fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then place a few drops of the nectar on the flowers daily with the feeding pipette provided. Butterflies also love to feast on slices of watermelon or oranges! A cinch to maintain and use, the handy zippered habitat allows for easy feeding and releasing of your butterflies.
Let Your Butterflies Go!
Your loveable butterflies are a joy to observe, but it is important to release them outdoors within a week of their emergence from the chrysalides. Coordinate the release of your butterflies with a school event or celebration! The release of your butterflies teaches children yet another valuable lesson about the necessity to allow their butterflies to continue their important life cycle.
The above is a brief outline of the LIve Butterfly Pavilion School Kit. For more information, be sure to read our complete Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Instructions.
A Lasting Educational Kit You Can Use Over and Over Again
The Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit is collapsible for easy storage and is reusable, so you can experience the Miracle of Metamorphosis year after year! Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Refills are available here.
Please note: This kit contains live insects.
Visit our Butterfly FAQ.
Shipping: Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship live caterpillars to Hawaii.
Manufacturer Recommended Age: 4 and up with adult supervision.