The Insect Lore Guarantee
Insect Lore is the Original Butterflies-By-Mail Company. We have been delivering the Magic of Metamorphosis to families and classrooms for almost 50 years! We take great pride in the quality of our educational products and the reliability of our Live Insect Kits. However, nature can be unpredictable and the hatch rate is not always 100%. That's why we guarantee 3 out of 5 caterpillars will develop into adult butterflies, and 5 out of 10-13 ladybug larvae will develop into adult ladybugs.
PLEASE INSPECT YOUR LIVE SHIPMENT IMMEDIATELY and contact us at email@example.com (or call us at 1-800-548-3284) within 10 business days of receipt if your item is damaged or defective. Insect Lore will provide you with a Return Authorization Number (RA#) if you wish to return or exchange an item.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING LIVE ORDERS: Expect your baby caterpillars to be small upon arrival. Also, they may be inactive as a result of their journey to you. Please give them at least 48 hours to adjust to their new home. Soon your caterpillars will be eating and growing before your very eyes! If you feel that there may be a problem with either your caterpillars or ladybugs, DO NOT THROW YOUR INSECTS AWAY. Instead, visit insectlore.com to live chat with one of our friendly operators, or call us at 1-800-548-3284. It is likely that your larvae are just fine and simply need some time to acclimate.
LIVE PRODUCTS ARE NON-RETURNABLE. If your live order does not fulfill our guarantee, do not send the live shipment back to Insect Lore. Instead, please contact Insect Lore at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of receipt of your purchase to request a replacement. A restocking fee will be applied to all live orders returned to Insect Lore.
For more information about our live kits, visit our helpful FAQs.
Please click the “Contact Us” link and fill in your information. Include your name, address, email address, phone number and your order number (if you have it). Insect Lore will respond within 1 business day. Or, you can speak to one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives by calling 1-800-LIVEBUG (1-800-548-3284). If you would like to fax an order, our fax number is 661-746-0334. For even faster service, live chat with us! Simply visit the Live Chat box icon in the upper right hand corner of this page. Office and Live Chat hours are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday, PST. Schools or institutions may also email their purchase orders to email@example.com.
Customers must be prepared to receive and raise their live insects. That’s why we provide four ordering options:
- Shipped with live now. This is the ideal option when you are ready to receive and raise your live insects NOW.
- Shipped with live with future ship date. You can choose this option if you know when you want your shipment of live insects to arrive in the future. When you check out, choose the future date you would like your product shipped up to one year in advance. This is the perfect option for teachers planning class projects. Please note that the future ship date you indicate will be the date your order departs from our warehouse.
- Shipped with voucher to redeem later. If you are not sure when you will be prepared to receive your live shipment, this is the option for you. It allows you to make your plans and then redeem your voucher for your live insects when you are ready for them. Please note that a shipping and handling fee is required when the voucher is redeemed.
- Shipped with a prepaid voucher to redeem later. If you are giving this item as a gift or simply want to take care of the shipping & handling of your order up front, this is the best option. The prepaid voucher means you are able to redeem on our website at your convenience.
At Insect Lore, the safety and well-being of your live specimens is of utmost importance. As you can imagine, shipping live insects adds an additional level of complexity to the shipping process, so our goal is to get your insects to you as quickly as possible.
If you choose USPS Priority Mail (includes Saturday delivery) and place your order during the week, it may take 24 hours to process and approximately 2-3 business days for your package to arrive. For the most accurate information, be sure to check your email for your tracking number. Please remember that our shipping facilities are closed on the weekends and holidays.
If you would like to receive your live order even sooner, you can choose FedEx 2 Day Delivery or FedEx Overnight (FedEx 2 Day and FedEx Overnight does not include Saturday delivery). If you choose one of these options and order after 9am PST/ 12pm EST, your order will ship the next business day (we do not ship on Saturday or Sunday.) Please call us at 1-800-548-3284 if you have shipping questions. If you are shipping to a P.O. Box, you cannot choose expedited shipping. Please choose USPS Priority Mail if you are shipping to a P.O. Box (Note: Please allow us one to two days to process your live order prior to shipment).
If you have a special shipping request, we will be happy to accommodate you! Please call our Customer Service Team at 1-800-548-3284, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST.
- Select a ship date that allows you to observe and enjoy the entire life cycle of your live insects. Plan for any school breaks, holidays or extended weekends that might interrupt your project. You must be prepared to watch over your caterpillars on a daily basis. Keep in mind that you will release your adult insects between 3 to 5 weeks after you receive your live shipment.
- Ship your insects to an indoor address, if possible. It is best to have live shipments sent to a building, where temperatures are controlled, rather than to an outdoor mailbox, where temperatures may be extreme.
- Track your package online so you are prepared to receive them. You must be available to open the package containing your live insects immediately upon receipt. They will not survive in a hot mailbox or warehouse. Please do not leave live shipments unattended.
- During extreme weather, it may be necessary to delay shipping our insects for their protection. Our insects travel all over the country. Even though it may be cool in your area, traveling through Arizona or Texas in the heat of the summer may be very dangerous for our insect friends. If you have an urgent need for your insects, please select expedited delivery. This should enable your insects to be shipped quickly enough to protect them from most extreme weather conditions.
- If you choose expedited shipping, weekends are not transit days. Choosing 1 or 2 day shipping means your shipment will arrive on a business day; Saturday and Sunday delivery is not available. Drop shipments may take up to 3 weeks. Due to import restrictions, Insect Lore cannot ship outside the Continental United States. We cannot ship live insects specimens to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or Mexico. We also cannot ship live product overseas.
Orders shipped to California are subject to California Sales Tax.
Insect Lore is not responsible for lost or stolen vouchers. A $25 fee will be charged for returned checks.
Track Your Order
After you submit your order, you will receive your order number by email confirmation. Use this number when contacting us about your order. If your order has not arrived within the specified shipping time, please contact Insect Lore ("Contact Us"). Remember to include your name, address, email address, phone number and the order number (if you have it).
Update Your Account
Have you moved? Do you have a new email address? Or do you work at a new school? Log in to Your Account now to update your information.
Customer Service FAQ
Our most frequently asked customer service questions are answered here.