The Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit gives educators the opportunity to share the wonder of metamorphosis with their students. Enjoy this super–sized version of Insect Lore’s popular Live Butterfly Garden. Children and adults alike will be transfixed by the transformation of 33 caterpillars into beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies! Watch the amazing changes for approximately three weeks, then release your adult butterflies into the wild!
Included in the Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit:
- Collapsible and reusable 2 foot tall Deluxe Butterfly Pavilion Habitat
- 33 live caterpillars now, OR a certificate to redeem 33 caterpillars online or by mail later. Choose the option right for you. No additional fee is required when you redeem the certificate for your caterpillars.
- 33 vials and lids
- Feeding Pipette
- Plastic Spoon
- Small Transfer Brush
- Specially formulated, ready to use, caterpillar food
- Extensive Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Instructions and Activity Guide
When the Caterpillars Arrive
Take special care in the initial setup of your caterpillars. The food and the caterpillars will have to be transferred to the vials as soon as possible, so each student can have his or her own butterfly to raise and observe. The caterpillars are very hardy, but they are sensitive to bacteria and the oils on your hands. The person responsible for transferring the caterpillars to the vials must ensure that hands and materials are clean prior to and during transfer.
Transfer the Caterpillars to the Individual Vials
- Be sure you have a large space in which to work.
- Using permanent marker, write the name of a student on a small vial.
- Open one of the large vials of food and spoon out a generous half-spoonful of caterpillar food with the spoon provided.
- Place the spoonful of food into the vial.
- Gently tamp it into the bottom of the vial using the bottom of another empty vial.
- Open the large Cup of Caterpillars and be sure not to tear the paper liner on the lid.
- Using the transfer brush, gently pick up a caterpillar and transfer it into the vial.
- Snap the lid of the vial in place.
- Repeat with the remaining caterpillars and vials.
Each vial has plenty of air for one caterpillar, so you don’t need to punch holes in them. It is very important that the caterpillars remain undisturbed and that the students handle their vials gently.
See the Birth of Your Very Own Butterflies
The caterpillars grow so quickly children will want to check on them several times throughout the day! After about seven days, the caterpillars will crawl to the top of the cups, hang upside down and change into chrysalides. After two or three days it’s time to move the chrysalides into the School Kit Habitat. Keep an eye on the ever-changing chrysalides; your butterflies will emerge approximately five to seven days later!
Children love feeding their hungry butterflies. To make the butterfly nectar, thoroughly mix 3 teaspoons of sugar with 1 cup of water. Lay some fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then place a few drops of the nectar on the flowers daily with the feeding pipette provided. Butterflies also love to feast on slices of watermelon or oranges! A cinch to maintain and use, the handy zippered habitat allows for easy feeding and releasing of your butterflies.
Let Your Butterflies Go!
Your loveable butterflies are a joy to observe, but it is important to release them outdoors within a week of their emergence from the chrysalides. Try coordinating the release of your butterflies with a school event or celebration! The release of your butterflies teaches children yet another valuable lesson about the necessity to allow their butterflies to continue their important life cycle.
The above is a brief outline of the LIve Butterfly Pavilion School Kit. Complete Instructions for the Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit are available here.
A Lasting Educational Kit You Can Use Over and Over Again
The Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit is collapsible for easy storage and is reusable, so you can experience the Miracle of Metamorphosis year after year! Live Butterfly Paviliion School Kit Refills are available here.
Miraculous Metamorphosis Curricula– These lessons are a wonderful complement to your study of metamorphosis. They are chronologically ordered to follow the stages of butterfly development.
Did you know “chrysalis” is another word for “pupa”?
Discover interesting butterfly facts like this one by visiting our Butterfly FAQ and in-depth Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Instructions and Activity Guide.
Recommended for Ages 4 and Up with Adult Supervision.
- Share the Miracle of Metamorphosis with your students.
- A butterfly hatching kit specifically designed for classrooms
- Child-and-insect friendly habitat
- A rewarding experience for both educator and student
- The study of metamorphosis helps teach solid scientific skills and concepts, reading, math and environmental studies.
- A family and classroom favorite for over 40 years!
- Insect Lore has shipped over 50 million butterflies since 1969.
- An unforgettable learning experience for ages 4 and up
- Your choice to receive the Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit with 33 caterpillars NOW, or to receive the LIve Butterfly Pavilion School Kit with a certificate to redeem your 33 caterpillars online or by mail LATER
- No additional fees are required when you redeem your certificate.
- 33 caterpillars and nutritious food shipped to your school
- Watch your caterpillars grow, harden into chrysalides and then transform into beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies.
- It takes approximately three weeks for the caterpillars to change into butterflies.
- Please take into consideration any holidays or breaks that might interrupt your project.
- Insect Lore guarantees that at least 22 out of the 33 caterpillars will successfully metamorphose into adult butterflies.
- Butterflies are cold-blooded, so it is best to release them when temperatures are above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. If temperatures are below 55 degrees, keep your butterflies indoors in their habitat for their entire life cycle.
- Coordinate your Butterfly Release with a special school celebration!
- Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship caterpillars to Hawaii.
- Please be prepared to receive shipment of your live caterpillars. Shipments of live caterpillars must be opened upon receipt. To ensure the survival of your live caterpillars, do not leave live shipments unattended.
- At Insect Lore, the safety and well being of your live specimens are of utmost importance. For this reason, shipping may be delayed if temperatures are extreme.
- Miraculous Metamorphosis Curricula – Teacher’s Guides and Student Worksheets – available here.
- Your Live Butterfly Pavilion Habitat is reusable. If you would like to experience this project with your students again next year, you'll need the Live Butterfly Pavilion School Kit Refill only.
Weight: 0.00 lbs
Shipping: Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship live caterpillars to Hawaii.
Manufacturer Recommended Age: 4 and up with adult supervision
Warning: Choking Hazard. Small Parts. Not recommended for children under 3 years.
Rewarding and educational for any age! Review by Minerva - University Place, Washington
I teach 4th grade, and my classes have raised butterflies with the Butterfly Pavillion School Kit for over 10 years. Every class has enjoyed this experience tremendously, and they always say they have learned something new.....even though they had raised butterflies in kindergarten or first grade. I gave a kit to my 70 year old mother one year, and she loved the experience, too. Every age can appreciate the wonder of nature! (Posted on 11/28/14)
my daughter notices that after one year, it looks like we have re-populated the butter flies in our area Review by Leonard - davenport, iowa
we bought this kit last year and my kids loved it. The educational value alone is good because my 5 year old wraps her self up like a crystalis (her words) and I have to explain to the adults what she is talking about. This year my daughters notice a lot more butterflies from the start of season.
We will be repopulating a few time this year. (Posted on 4/28/14)
Amazing butterflies Review by Ms. C - CT, Waterbury
My First Grade class has so much fun watching their caterpillars metamorphosis into butterflies! Such an incredible class projects. The students and staff in our building really enjoyed checking in on the progress of the butterflies each day. Now that we released the butterflies, we really miss them! (Posted on 5/21/13)
Write Your Own Review
You may also be interested in the following product(s)