“I really liked this because it was really cool to see the larvae turn into pupae. Once they turned into ladybugs, we kept them for about a week and then let them go in our garden.”
Watch ladybug larvae transform into friendly ladybugs!
Your child can witness every fascinating stage of ladybug metamorphosis with our see-through, domed Live Ladybug Land.
Be sure to decide which purchasing option is best for you. The Ladybug Land shipped with ladybug larvae is ideal for those customers who want to experience ladybug metamorphosis NOW. The Ladybug Land with Certificate is convenient for customers who want to order their ladybug larvae LATER. When you are ready to receive your ladybug larvae, you can redeem the certificate online or by mail.
Your Ladybug Land Includes:
- Beautiful diorama style habitat
- Instructions with Complete Care and Activity Guide
- Built-in magnifying lid for up-close ladybug observation
- Water reservoir “volcano” keeps thirsty ladybugs happy
- Watering pipette
- A shipping tube containing 15 to 20 ladybug larvae either: included in the box NOW or redeemed online or by mail LATER using the certificate included in the box. Please note that an additional $5.00 fee is required when you redeem your certificate. This fee covers the cost of shipping and handling your tube of ladybug larvae. 5 of the larvae are guaranteed to develop into perfect specimens.
Easy to Maintain
Your ladybug larvae will arrive in a special shipping tube complete with food. This will be all the food your larvae will need to develop into Pink Spotted Ladybugs. Children may be surprised to find that ladybug larvae are not as cute and round as their adult counterparts. They actually look like little alligators! You’ll notice there is a cool volcanic crater in the middle of the Live Ladybug Land. Remove the magnification cap from the Live Ladybug Land, or ladybug habitat, and place a couple of drops of water on the sponge in the middle of the crater. Your ladybug larvae will visit the crater when they are thirsty, so be sure to keep the sponge moist, but not saturated, for the duration of their lifecycle. Sprinkle the ladybug larvae and food from the tube into the habitat.
Keep your Live Ladybug Land in a safe place away from heat or drafts and get ready to watch the ladybug activity!
Raise Your Very Own Ladybugs!
The ladybug larvae will busy themselves searching for food, eating, molting, and growing constantly. It’s fun to keep a scientific journal to record the larvae’s activity and growth. How many times do the ladybug larvae shed their skin?
Soon, the larvae will have stored enough energy to pupate. They will attach themselves to the floor and walls of the dome, curl up and harden into pupae. After about 5 days, they will emerge as adult ladybugs.
Once your larvae have metamorphosed into adult ladybugs, they will depend on you to provide them with food. Simply soak one or two raisins in water for about 5 minutes, blot them on a paper towel, cut them in half and drop them into the Live Ladybug Land. This should keep your ladybugs well fed for about a week. When the raisin disappears, place another one in the habitat.
If you happen to have plants outdoors infested with harmful aphids, you can place a few of the aphid-covered leaves in the Live Ladybug Land. Ladybugs are especially fond of aphids!
Set Them Free!
After you have enjoyed your ladybugs for a few days, it is best to let them go outdoors where they can begin the ladybug life cycle all over again. Ladybugs are especially helpful creatures and they can assist you in ridding your garden of harmful pests (like aphids).
If you would like your ladybugs to remain in your yard, try to release them in the morning. Simply take the Live Ladybug Land outside, remove the dome of the habitat and let your ladybugs fly away. A few may visit for a moment on hands and fingers before taking flight.
Can I reuse the Ladybug Land?
A female ladybug can lay 50 eggs in one day. She will lay up to 1,000 eggs during her lifetime!
There’s so much to know about ladybugs! Learn more fascinating ladybug facts by visiting Insect Lore’s Ladybug FAQ or our in-depth Instructions with Complete Care and Activity Guide.
Recommended for Ages 4 and Up with Adult Supervision.
- A family and classroom favorite
- The only Ladybug Life Cycle Kit available!
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best toy Award Gold Seal Winner
- Experience Ladybug Metamorphosis up close.
- Attractive diorama style habitat
- Built-in magnifier lid so you can watch your ladybugs’ every move
- The water reservoir in the “volcano” keeps thirsty ladybugs happy
- See tiny ladybug larvae eat, drink, pupate and emerge as Adult Pink-Spotted Ladybugs!
- A fascinating experience for ages 4 and up
- Children will enjoy watching their ladybugs explore the ladybug landscape
- Your choice to receive your Ladybug Land with 15 to 20 ladybug larvae NOW, or receive the Ladybug Land with certificate to redeem your 15 to 20 ladybug larvae online or by mail LATER (If you purchase the ladybug Land with Certificate, an additional $5.00 shipping and handling fee for the ladybug larvae will be required when you redeem your certificate.)
- 15 to 20 ladybug larvae with nutritious food shipped to your door.
- Insect Lore guarantee that at least 5 ladybug larvae will successfully metamorphose into healthy adult ladybugs.
- It is best to release your adult ladybugs when temperatures are above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. If temperatures are below 55 degrees, keep your ladybugs indoors in the Ladybug Land for their entire life cycle.
- Live ladybug larvae are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship ladybug larvae to Hawaii.
- Please be prepared to receive shipment of your ladybug larvae. Shipment of ladybug larvae must be opened upon receipt. To ensure the survival of your ladybug larvae, do not leave shipments unattended.
- It is best to have your tube of live ladybugs sent to a building (where temperatures are controlled) rather than to an outdoor mailbox.
- At Insect Lore, the safety and well being of your live specimens are of utmost importance. For this reason, shipping may be delayed if temperatures are extreme.
- Easy to clean and reuse
- Restock your Live Ladybug Land with the Ladybug Larvae Refill.
- The Ladybug Life Cycle Stages are a useful educational complement to the Live Ladybug Land.
Weight: 0.00 lbs
Manufacturer Recommended Age: 4 and up with adult supervision
Warning: Choking hazard. Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
Great hands on way to learn! Review by MKM - Liberty, Idaho
I bought the ladybug kit for a group of preschool kids I was teaching during the summer. They LOVED it! Checking, feeding, and watering the ladybugs became the highlight of their day. The students were delighted to watch the bugs become adults. It made the books, art projects, and other activities come to life with the real thing readily available. A third-grade teacher borrowed the container and shared with the students K-3. All of the kids were highly interested! I would recommend this! (Posted on 3/24/14)
very cool Review by Jennifer - Fairfield, Ca
We only came to this website to redeem a certificate for caterpillars but saw they had lots of kits. We decided to try the ladybugs and it turned out so well. Almost all of the Larvae became ladybugs and my kids actually took it upon themselves to learn more. It made learning about life cycles so much better. I highly recommend this or the butterfly kits. I just ordered the triops and ant kits. I love seeing my kids excited about science and take the initiative to learn more by researching. (Posted on 10/10/13)
Fascinating and fun! Review by Alia - Fremont, CA
I was going to order a butterfly kit because my kids came home from school daily talking about the kit they had in their classrooms at school. I decided to get the ladybug kit instead when I found the option at insectlore.com coz my 6 year old daughter loves ladybugs. I think I have been more fascinated with the whole process than the kids were! Got 13 larvae, and all successfully grew, molted, pupated and hatched into cute pink spotted beetles. My daughter took the habitat to school after they hatched into beetles for show and tell, and the crowd of kids around her after school told its own story! Great experience. Will order another kit soon. (Posted on 6/14/13)
Totally Awesome! Review by Buggy Momma - North Olmsted, Ohio
My daughter and I have had so much fun with this over the past few weeks. We ended up with all of them surviving! Her face every time they hit a new stage was worth having bugs in the house. We will definitely be purchasing more soon! (Posted on 5/22/13)
The best Review by Crazy mama - Old bridge, New Jersey
We have been growing ladybugs since my son was 2- now 12. It's great fun to watch and release in you yard. Get a ladybug house for the winter. They eat all the aphids on our plants (Posted on 5/19/13)
Great gift for kids Review by Tracy - Weiser, Idaho
We've raised ladybugs several years in a row, the Ladybug Land is very durable. My 11 and 6 year old love to watch the bugs grow and change, so much that we've started buying them as birthday gifts for friends and family. I highly recommend! (Posted on 5/13/13)
Love This! Review by Mother of 2 Boys - SW, VA
This has been one of the best gifts my kids have ever gotten. My four year old son loves nature and animals, and especially ladybugs, so his grandmother got this for him. It was lots of fun to watch the larvae crawl around, then attach to the dome. We waited a week and then each day a couple of ladybugs would come out. We even caught one coming out of its pupae (sp). Next week my son will take his ladybug land to school to let them go with his classmates on the playground, and we will order more larvae and do it again. I'd love to give this at every b-day party too. Educational and Fun! (Posted on 5/10/13)
lady bug land Review by r w - cincinnati, oh
my daughter LOVED this, i'm actually on here tonight to order more lady bugs since we raised our and set them free. my daughter is begging me for more!! its GREAT!!!
(Posted on 5/9/13)
Great Review by Sav - Don't want to say, Don't want to say
THIS IS GREAT. When I was younger my mother got this for me. IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE EVER. IT IS SO INTERESTING!!!!! (Posted on 4/30/13)
Write Your Own Review
Video review of Live Ladybug Land®