“This kit is an awesome item! It was amazing to watch the transformation from caterpillars to beautiful butterflies! My son really enjoyed watching this!”
“What an amazing experience! Can’t wait to do it again!”
Witness the Amazing Butterfly Life Cycle
The Live Butterfly Pavilion gives children, students and families an unforgettable opportunity to watch caterpillars change into chrysalides and then emerge as beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies. Raise and feed your very own butterflies and then release them into the wild! The entire transformation from caterpillar to adult butterfly takes about three weeks, depending on the temperature and humidity in your area.
The Live Butterfly Pavilion Includes:
- Pop-up, reusable 2-foot tall mesh habitat perfect for butterfly viewing in the home or classroom!
- Feeding Pipette
- Complete Live Butterfly Pavilion Instructions
- Two cups of 10 live caterpillars (5 caterpillars in each cup) either: included NOW, or redeemed online or by mail LATER using the certificate included in the box. Choose the option best for you. Please note that an additional $5 fee is required when you redeem your certificate. This fee covers the cost of shipping and handling your Cups of Caterpillars. 6 of the 10 caterpillars are guaranteed to develop into perfect specimens.
Observe An Amazing Transformation
10 caterpillars will arrive in 2 clear plastic cups (5 caterpillar in each cup) with all of the nutritious food they need to grow into adult butterflies. Place the cups in a safe place away from direct sunlight. The caterpillars will remain in the cups and will eat, spin silk and grow to TEN times their original size! After seven to ten days they will hang upside down and harden into chrysalides (chrysalides are also known as pupae).
Your Very Own Butterflies
The Butterfly Pavilion Habitat is a reusable, 2-foot tall cylindrical mesh container perfect for up close butterfly viewing! It conveniently hangs from the Velcro strap or can be placed on a table or desktop. When not in use, it folds flat for easy storage. Once the chrysalides have hardened, gently move them to the pop-up butterfly habitat. It will take about seven to ten more days for them to complete the transformation to adult butterflies. Everyone will want to keep a close eye on the habitat so they can witness the fascinating birth of their Painted Lady Butterflies.
Once your butterflies emerge, children will love feeding them! The habitat’s see-through mesh and zippered entry allow for easy maintenance. To make the butterfly nectar, thoroughly mix 3 teaspoons of sugar with 1 cup of water. Place fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then use the feeding pipette included to sprinkle the nectar on the flowers daily. Watch your butterflies eagerly sip the nectar with their long proboscises. Butterflies also love to feed from fresh slices of watermelon and oranges!
Let Your Butterflies Go!
Enjoy your butterflies for a few days, and then experience the excitement of letting them go to continue their amazing life cycle. Release your butterflies within a week of their emergence from the chrysalides when temperatures are above 55 degrees. Simply take the butterfly habitat out to your yard, unzip the cover, and let your butterflies go. Butterflies will often visit on little hands and faces before flying away. Watch for your butterfly friends, as they may decide to remain in your garden for a few days!
Experience Metamorphosis Again and Again!
The Painted Lady Butterfly’s scientific name is Vanessa Cardui. It is also called the “Thistle Butterfly” because it loves the nectar of thistles.
Recommended for Ages 4 and Up with Adult Supervision.
- Insect Lore has shipped over 50 million butterflies since 1969.
- Experience the Miracle of Metamorphosis up close.
- An unforgettable learning experience for ages 4 and up
- Your choice to receive The Live Butterfly Pavilion with 10 caterpillars NOW, OR to receive The Live Butterfly Pavilion with a certificate to redeem your 10 caterpillars online or by mail LATER
- 10 caterpillars and nutritious food shipped to your door
- Watch your caterpillars grow, harden into chrysalides and then transform into beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies.
- Insect Lore guarantees that at least 6 of the 10 caterpillars will successfully metamorphose into adult butterflies.
- Butterflies are coldblooded, so it is important to release them when temperatures are above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. If temperatures are below 55 degrees, keep your butterflies indoors and in their habitat for their entire life cycle.
- Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA, Alaska and Canada. We cannot ship caterpillars to Hawaii.
- It is best to have your live caterpillars sent to a building, where temperatures are controlled, rather than to an outdoor mailbox, where temperatures may be extreme.
- Please be prepared to receive shipment of your live caterpillars. Shipments of live caterpillars must be opened upon receipt. To ensure the survival of your live caterpillars, do not leave live shipments unattended.
- Would you like to reuse your Live Butterfly Pavilion? Cup of Caterpillars refills are available here.
Weight: 0.00 lbs
Shipping: Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship live caterpillars to Hawaii.
Manufacturer Recommended Age: 4 and up
Warning: Choking Hazard. Small parts. Not recommended for children under 3 years.
AWESOME! Review by K - Woodstock, Georgia
This is so awesome. The caterpillars arrived quickly and well packaged. My children loved observing them at all stages and I did too. They couldn't wait to get up in the morning and see how they changed. This is a great way to learn about the lifecycle of a butterfly. (Posted on 4/24/13)
Amazing Review by Jennifer - Quincy, MA
My kids (6 & 3) and I couldn't have been happier with this! The caterpillars came very quickly and well packaged. The kids loved observing them in all their stages and to be honest, I found myself spending time watching them alone after the kids were fast asleep. I plan on ordering the ladybug land over the summer. This is a great way to make memories with your kids while they learn about nature. (Posted on 4/22/13)
Write Your Own Review
Video review of Live Butterfly Pavilion®