“This kit provided my children with a wonderful, exciting learning experience they will never forget!”
“Releasing them was the best part and they stayed in our yard for several days.”
Watch the Miracle of Metamorphosis Up Close
This educational kit gives children, students and families an unforgettable opportunity to watch caterpillars change into chrysalides and then emerge as beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies. Raise and feed your very own butterflies and then release them into the wild! The entire transformation from caterpillar to adult butterfly takes about three weeks.
The Live Butterfly Garden Includes:
- Pop-up, reusable 11.5-inch tall mesh habitat perfect for butterfly viewing!
- Feeding Pipette
- Complete Live Butterfly Garden Instructions.
- A cup of 5 live caterpillars either: included NOW, or redeemed online or by mail LATER using the certificate included in the box. Choose the option best for you. Please note that an additional $5 fee is required when you redeem your certificate. This fee covers the cost of shipping and handling your Cup of Caterpillars. 3 of the 5 caterpillars are guaranteed to develop into perfect specimens.
See An Amazing Transformation
5 caterpillars (a live butterfly culture) will arrive in a clear plastic cup with all of the nutritious food they need. Place the cup in a safe place away from direct sunlight. The caterpillars will remain in the cup and will eat, spin silk and grow to TEN times their original size! After seven to ten days they will hang upside down and harden into chrysalides (chrysalides are also known as pupae).
Raise Your Very Own Butterflies
The Butterfly Garden Habitat is a reusable, cylindrical mesh container perfect for up close butterfly viewing! When not in use it folds flat for easy storage. Once the chrysalides have hardened, gently move them to the pop-up butterfly habitat. It will take about seven to ten more days for them to complete the transformation to adult butterflies. Everyone will want to keep a close eye on the habitat so they can witness the fascinating birth of their Painted Lady Butterflies.
Once your butterflies emerge, children will love feeding them! Place fresh flowers in the habitat for your butterflies to rest on and then use the feeding pipette included to drip sugar water, or nectar, on the flowers. Watch your butterflies eagerly sip the nectar with their long proboscises. Butterflies also love to feed from fresh slices of watermelon and oranges!
Set Your Butterflies Free!
Enjoy your butterflies for a few days, and then experience the excitement of letting them go to continue their amazing life cycle. Release your butterflies within a week of their emergence from the chrysalides when temperatures are above 55 degrees. Simply take the butterfly habitat out to your yard, unzip the cover, and let your butterflies go. Butterflies will often land on little hands and faces before flying away. Watch for your butterfly friends, as they may decide to remain in your garden for a few days!
Experience Metamorphosis Again and Again!
Did You Know Butterflies Taste With Their Feet?
Recommended for Ages 4 and Up with Adult Supervision.
- A family and classroom favorite for over 40 years!
- Insect Lore has shipped over 50 million butterflies since 1969.
- Experience the Miracle of Metamorphosis up close.
- An unforgettable learning experience for ages 4 and up
- Your choice to receive The Live Butterfly Garden with 5 caterpillars NOW, OR to receive The Live Butterfly Garden with a certificate to redeem your 5 caterpillars online or by mail LATER
- 5 caterpillars (a live butterfly culture) and nutritious food shipped to your door
- Watch your caterpillars grow, harden into chrysalides and then transform into beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies.
- Insect Lore guarantees that at least 3 of the 5 caterpillars will successfully metamorphose into adult butterflies.
- Butterflies are coldblooded, so it is important to release them when temperatures are above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. If temperatures are below 55 degrees, keep your butterflies indoors and in their habitat for their entire life cycle.
- Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA, Alaska and Canada. We cannot ship caterpillars to Hawaii.
- It is best to have your live caterpillars sent to a building (where temperatures are controlled) rather than to an outdoor mailbox.
- Please be prepared to receive shipment of your live caterpillars. Shipments of live caterpillars must be opened upon receipt. To ensure the survival of your live caterpillars, do not leave live shipments unattended.
- Cup of Caterpillars refills are available here.
Weight: 0.00 lbs
Shipping: Live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the Continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship live caterpillars to Hawaii.
Manufacturer Recommended Age: 4 and up
Warning: Choking Hazard. Small parts. Not recommended for children under 3 years.
Love it Review by Liz haisler - Taylor, Texas
Using it at Assisted Living in Taylor, they are so excited watching the changes. Love it, thank you. (Posted on 5/14/13)
good Review by puppy - bufflow, new york
it helps kids learn about butterflies life cycle. (Posted on 5/13/13)
A Must Have Review by Niki - OAK GROVE, Mo
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter. We had so much fun, watching the teeny, tiny caterpillars go through the stages of their life. Lots of emotion from not knowing if they were alive, to one hurting their wing, and bleeding all over our garden. 4 of our butterflies made it, they are so sweet, and they love to sit on my daughters hands. Thank you, this is a great idea. I just ordered my second set to surprise my daughter.
(Posted on 5/12/13)
Love it! Review by Preschool teacher - Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska
I love doing this with my preschoolers. The first thing that they do every morning is to check on what is happening in the butterfly garden. They love to watch them fly. (Posted on 5/8/13)
Excellent Review by K3 Educator - Goose Creek, SC
I have been buying this kit for my son (10) for years and he really enjoys watching and waiting on the butterflies. This year I bought it for my class of 3 year old children and they were absolutely amazed. They learned from it and enjoyed it! (Posted on 5/5/13)
GREAT! Review by Allie - San Jose, California
I got this for my 5 year old son and he is super happy with it it is everything he expected! The only thing was we got 5 caterpillers and 1 was way smaller than the other ones and they were not able to transform at the same time so the smallest one died :( (Posted on 5/4/13)
Lots of fun! Review by GREAT! - Wilkes-Barre, PA
I thought this was great! I wasn't sure how it would work. All 5 of my caterpillars turned into butterflies and when we were setting them free one of them hung around for awhile and I got some great pictures of my kids holding it :) It did then fly away. I recommended this product to others and would get this again! (Posted on 5/4/13)
Excellent Review by Mom of 5 - Washington, Missouri
My son recieved a certificate for a live butterfly kit for his 4th birthday. He is 12 now and we have been getting one every year since. It was the most wonderful, educational, experience for him and his 4 siblings. It's so much fun for the kids, they don't realize they are learning. I highly recommend this for anyone with kids. They are easily contained until the time to set them free. My children usually name them (Posted on 4/25/13)
Lots of fun Review by Butterfly girls - Lehi, Utah
I have 3 girls and we had a great time watching the caterpillars grow and turn to butterflies. They all lived and developed into beautiful butterflies. (Posted on 4/23/13)
Should not have an extra fee. Review by prek fun - Houston, TX
The container is sturdier than the box type I have had in the past but the fact that there is an additional "processing" fee of $5 when you send in your coupon is a total rip off. The purchase pice should be all inclusive. So sorry that your policy has chnged on htis. (Posted on 4/22/13)